When kids play with magnetic tiles, they learn about gravity, stability and the basics of construction. About building something from scratch, something that originated in their imagination. The best magnetic toys for kids last long and offer endless possibilities for creative play.
Magnetic toys and blocks encourage open-ended play and are just as suitable for kids playing alone as kids engaging in group play. Our favorite magnetic toys all have one thing in common: They encourage kids to explore without limits. Each has an option in which your child is challenged in ways he or she hasn’t been before. That challenge makes playtime and learning enjoyable. We’ve put together a list of the best magnetic toys that your kids, whether toddlers, preschoolers, or older, will find innovative, fun, and truly engaging.
Best Magnetic Toys for Kids
1. Magna-Tiles Colors Set
As far as high-quality toys are concerned, this takes the gold medal in my eyes. Every tile in the set contains metal rivets that keep the magnets in place. Furthermore, the brand makes it easy to add to your collection, as this set is compatible with other sets. Recommended for ages 3 and above, this 3D magnetic set is easy to use and offers tons of fun.
It provides educational opportunities and engages your child’s mind, by fusing creativity, science, and math. Since all the tile edges are magnetized, your child has unlimited opportunities to build any design they can think of. Read more about the best sensory toys for toddlers.
2. PicassoTiles Magnetic Building Tiles
Introduce your child to a world of endless fun with this product. PicassoTiles specializes in providing award-winning, STEM-based toys, enabling you to introduce your child to these concepts early on. Perfect for children ages 3 and above, this toy helps children understand geometrical shapes, including those in 3D forms. With limitless designs, your child will enjoy creating them.
3. Magformers Challenger Magnetic Building Blocks
Coming from a brand of well-known toy sets, this BPA-free 112-piece magnet set provides so many building challenges and possibilities. It’s suitable for children ages 3 and above. It engages their young minds as they build vehicles, houses, animals, and more.
Your child will explore magnetic possibilities and architectural ideas as they build different designs and shapes. Additionally, the Magformers Challenger set is made using high-quality materials to ensure your child’s safety.
4. Playmags 100 Piece Super Set
Highly recommended by professionals, this superset is great for preschool games as well as group activities. Suitable for children ages 3 and above, this toy set contains 100 pieces in eight diverse shapes, designed to stretch your child’s imagination. The lattice-work design of the tiles ensures a sturdy build while minimizing frustration.
This set is versatile and can be used with other tiles. As your children play, they’re also introduced to the basics of geometry, spatial reasoning, physics, and architecture.
5. 4M Magnetic Tile Art
For ages 8 and up, this tile kit combines your traditional fridge magnets with precious artwork from your kids. Everything your child needs for creating a personalized gift for friends and relatives is included.
It includes 12 tiles, a paintbrush, a paint strip including colored paints, plus rubber magnets and adhesive tape to finish. For those who enjoy crafting projects, this provides a special opportunity to show off their work in a unique way.
6. Melissa & Doug Magnetic Dinosaurs
Ideal for children aged 2 and above, these 20 brightly-colored wooden dinosaurs are perfect for any dinosaur-loving kid. They are a good size so you don’t run the risk of choking. The back of the packaging identifies all the dinosaurs by name.
This set is great for shape recognition and enhances your child’s sorting skills. The box is not resealable once opened, so you’ll need to have a storage box handy unless they’re going to be permanently displayed on the fridge door, that is!
7. Dowling Penny Magnetic Kit
Dowling magnet pennies are a fantastic option for children ages 8 and above to explore magnetic forces, stability, and motion. It’s a fun way to introduce and discuss scientific concepts, geometry, and symmetry, among other things.
Kids get to learn about penny history and magnetic facts as they engage in the 44 listed fun activities. They can build gravity-defying sculptures, pyramids, and more.
8. Magz Magnetic Building Set
These 40 colorful bottle-shaped blocks are built to keep any preschooler busy. They are ideal for enhancing your child’s motor skills and learning simple building skills. The magnets are secured within welded plastic, making them safe for use.
The magnets are quite strong and will keep the blocks from scattering should the tower topple over. No age is specified, but as the pieces are around 2 inches high, we recommend a minimum age of 3 years old.
9. Little World Fridge Magnets
These colorful farm animal magnets will fascinate your preschooler. For children aged 3 to 5, this set enhances fine motor skills, recognition abilities, and memory.
Made from high-quality materials, they are soft so they won’t leave scratch marks on your fridge or other metal surfaces. However, the magnets consist of laminated cards attached to foam on a rubber magnet base, so they will be damaged if they get wet.
10. Tegu Magnetic Wooden Blocks
Wooden toys have been around for years. But this brand has reinvented these blocks and made them super fun for kids by adding magnets. Twenty-four pieces are included with this set, offering hours of entertainment as your child creates a multitude of objects. The manufacturers have taken safety precautions to ensure this toy is safe for use by children 3 years and above.
How to Choose Magnetic Toys?
Finding the right magnetic toy for your kid is not as easy as it sounds. There are several considerations you need to keep in mind.
1. Materials used –
- At one point or another, a younger child will put a toy in their mouth. You want to make sure that the materials used to build the magnetic toy are safe.
- Steer clear from kids’ magnetic toys that are made using lower-grade plastics, since they can contain phthalates, lead, and BPA. These toxins are dangerous and could harm your children.
- Additionally, toys made from cheap materials aren’t durable, and you’ll find yourself shopping for new toys too often.
2. Design –
Look for a magnetic toy that allows your child to build multiple constructions, shapes, and even geometric designs. Versatility is key, whether you’re buying stacking blocks or other types of magnetic toys. This will ensure that your child doesn’t get bored too soon.
3. Safety –
Admittedly, most of us buy toys to keep our kids occupied while we work or try to relax. While some of us get away with it, not everyone is as lucky. Young children are known to chew or swallow small toys while distracted parents aren’t looking.
Magnetic toys usually contain tiny but powerful magnets that attract to one another, or to other metallic surfaces. If swallowed, these magnets will try to do the same internally. This, in turn, can cause serious damage to the digestive system.
You can keep your children safe by:
- Talking to your older children about the dangers of chewing or swallowing magnetic toys or using magnets as fake piercings.
- Not purchasing magnetic toy sets that contain small pieces. This is particularly important if you have babies or toddlers around.
- Storing away all magnetic toys when they’re not in use.
If your child happens to swallow a magnetic toy, contact your nearest healthcare provider or, better yet, take them directly to an emergency center you trust.
How to Choose an Age-Appropriate Toy for Your Kid?
Part of finding an appropriate toy for your child will involve looking at their age, skills, and interests. This process is much easier with older children who already know what they like.
More often than not, their choices will be influenced by their peers or the advertisements they’ve seen. As a result, you may find yourself with a long list of “must-haves” to find. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- 1 to 2 years old: Children at this age are curious about the world. They want to touch, feel, and explore things, this may include putting things in their mouth, so go for large and colorful magnet toys. Responsive toys that sing or talk when touched are ideal for this age group.
- 3 to 5 years old: Preschoolers are energetic, imaginative, and curious. Simple tile sets and magnetic drawing boards are fantastic for this age. They inspire creativity and can introduce children to art, basic math, and more.
- 6 to 8 years old: Kids in this age group like to invent things and figure puzzles out by themselves. Open tile sets encourage invention and are educational.
- 9 to 12 years old: Older children want toys that reflect their personalities. They will benefit greatly from magnetic STEM toys and magnetic dartboards.
Benefits of Magnetic Toys:
Magnetic toys are a fun way to introduce your children to the concepts of art, architecture, construction, and engineering. As they stack the blocks or tiles, your children can:
- Start to understand magnetic principles.
- Improve their motor skills.
- Learn organizational skills through sorting and stacking.
- Begin to grasp STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) principles as they build simple or intricate designs.
- Experience improved concentration levels and problem-solving.
Children have always been fascinated by magnets. They arouse our curiosity and can seem almost magical. Magnetic toys can feed their imaginations and stimulate their creativity. We’ve curated this article – the best magnetic toys that your kids, be it, toddlers, preschoolers, or even older kids, to have fun with and truly engaging. Hope this article was helpful.
- The 10 Best Fidget Toys For ADHD and Anxiety
- 8 Best Fidget Spinners and Toys
- Fidget Spinner Diamond
- Stainless Steel Fidget Spinner
- Fidget Spinner ADHD Anxiety Toys 5 Pack Stress